Pintuck White Duvet Cover

Hooray I finished my pintuck white duvet cover that I’ve been wanting to make for a long time.  White just seems like the right color for our apartment in Florida.  With how hot it is outside, it is refreshing to come inside to clean white and the light blues from the pillows.    This was a project well worth the money saved.  I found a similar duvet cover at Target for $70 (and that was Target- other places were more expensive).  But all you need for this project is 2 flat bed sheets – around $10 each.  I have a queen size duvet, but I bought 1 king size flat sheet for the top and 1 queen size flat sheet for the bottom.  I did this since the pintucks gather a bit and I didn’t want the top sheet to end up being too small.  I probably did not need to do this in the end, but it did help not having to worry about how much I gathered with the pintucks.
Take the top sheet and mark off every 18 inches (if you want more pintucks mark off with fewer inches)

I used a box we had left over from the move as a giant ruler and that helped me be more precise as I worked my way across the sheet.
Gather the fabric around each mark and make a swirl.
Pinning each swirl helps to keep the fabric even.
With a needle, come from the back side through the middle of the swirl.
Thread back and forth about 10x or until the knot feels tight and stable.  Then tie it off on the backside.   Continue along each mark until finished.
Each pintuck gives an X shaped wrinkle to the fabric. To preserve this wrinkle on the edges, I pinned the wrinkle down (above picture) before sewing the two sheets together.
A few helpful things to remember when sewing the sheets together:

• Pin like crazy! – there is a lot of fabric here and it would be easy to accidently sew over the wrong part – I did :(
  • Most duvet covers have little ties on the corners of the inside, now would be a good time to sew those in if desired
  • Leave an opening at the top and then you can either close it with buttons, ties, or Velcro

The finished product!
I made a decorative pillow the same way.

I have an idea for some decorating to go above the bed – that, plus another dress are my next projects :)

37 comments

1. Rach H says:

I LOVE THIS! I also love that you left a tutorial, and I love the overhead picture of you working on it on the floor. I just may have to Pin this, because I would really love to make something similar, I have never decorated our Master cute. This is great inspiration!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog and linking this at Family Ever After!

2. BeingBrook says:

Beautiful job! I made my daughter a duvet similar to the Anthropologie Cirrus duvet and it was so much cheaper than buying it! Love the little navy pillow too!

3. Shannon says:

This really is one of the most beautiful duvet covers I’ve ever seen. I am in awe of you. It’s gorgeous. You need to post this on every link party you can find! :)

I’m having a giveaway on my blog. Please stop by if you’d like! ShannonSews.blogspot.com

4. Karen says:

I am a new follower and I think your duvet cover is very effective and pretty.You are so clever to make it and thank you for sharing your idea. I would like to try it myself, but maybe on a smaller scale to start with:)

5. Ty and Whitty says:

Oh my gosh I love it so so much. Good job I am doing one similar but your seems easier darn too bad I started already. Maybe ill make this one too. Thanks. And thank you for linking up to show and share mine and lindsays link party. Come stop by mom blog stay a while and have a look around.
    A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

6. Katie says:

I absolutely LOVE this pintuck duvet! You did a phenomenal job!

I just wanted to let you know that I featured your project today on Sew Woodsy! Feel free to grab a featured button and definitely come back tomorrow!

p.s. What part of Florida do you live in? Maybe we can get together and craft if your not too far from Orlando!

7. Ange says:

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing how to make it.
    I have a question though. Can it just be tossed in the washer like any other sheets?
    I have been searching for the perfect duvet cover for about five years. I think I just found it, and you make it look so easy!

8. Angela says:

This is such a great tutorial! I have wanted the West Elm version for quite sometime but the price tag has kept me from buying. Good thing since now I can make my own! Thank you!

9. Anonymous says:

Thank you very much I am moving and in my new purple room I want to make a canopy with gathered pin-tuck taffeta. I’m so happy I can’t wait to get started on my creation. I think I will make a few pillows too.

10. Anonymous says:

thanks so much, this is much easier than i thought it would be. i hope mine looks as great as yours when im fininshed!

Comments are closed.