Single post

Pintuck White Duvet Cover

Hooray I finished my pintuck white duvet cover that I’ve been wanting to make for a long time.  White just seems like the right color for our apartment in Florida.  With how hot it is outside, it is refreshing to come inside to clean white and the light blues from the pillows.    This was a project well worth the money saved.  I found a similar duvet cover at Target for $70 (and that was Target- other places were more expensive).  But all you need for this project is 2 flat bed sheets – around $10 each.  I have a queen size duvet, but I bought 1 king size flat sheet for the top and 1 queen size flat sheet for the bottom.  I did this since the pintucks gather a bit and I didn’t want the top sheet to end up being too small.  I probably did not need to do this in the end, but it did help not having to worry about how much I gathered with the pintucks. Take the top sheet and mark off every 18 inches (if you want more pintucks mark off with fewer inches) I used a box we had left over from the move as a giant ruler and that helped me be more precise as I worked my way across the sheet. Gather the fabric around each mark and make a swirl. Pinning each swirl helps to keep the fabric even. With a needle, come from the back side through the middle of the swirl. Thread back and forth about 10x or until the knot feels tight and stable.  Then tie it off on the backside.   Continue along each mark until finished. Each pintuck gives an X shaped wrinkle to the fabric. To preserve this wrinkle on the edges, I pinned the wrinkle down (above picture) before sewing the two sheets together. A few helpful things to remember when sewing the sheets together:
  • Pin like crazy! – there is a lot of fabric here and it would be easy to accidently sew over the wrong part – I did :(
  • Most duvet covers have little ties on the corners of the inside, now would be a good time to sew those in if desired
  • Leave an opening at the top and then you can either close it with buttons, ties, or Velcro
The finished product! I made a decorative pillow the same way. I have an idea for some decorating to go above the bed – that, plus another dress are my next projects :)
August 13th, 2011 at 2:25 am

I LOVE THIS! I also love that you left a tutorial, and I love the overhead picture of you working on it on the floor. I just may have to Pin this, because I would really love to make something similar, I have never decorated our Master cute. This is great inspiration!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog and linking this at Family Ever After!

August 13th, 2011 at 6:14 am

This turned out FABULOUS! I LOVE how the white looks so clean and crisp. thanks for the tutorial, I just might attempt it for our lucky guest room… ;)

August 13th, 2011 at 5:31 pm

my daughter is wanting one of these! she spotted her fave at west elm. i think she’ll love this!
thanks.

August 13th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Beautiful job! I made my daughter a duvet similar to the Anthropologie Cirrus duvet and it was so much cheaper than buying it! Love the little navy pillow too!

August 14th, 2011 at 3:52 am

I love this look, and you made it look so easy. I may have to try this. Thanks!

August 14th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Wow! This turned out great! I love that you just used white sheets!! I really want to try this. Thanks so much for sharing!! I am a new follower and I love your blog!!

August 14th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I love it Skye! You did a fabulous job and what a lot of paitence you must have to tackle such a project! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

August 15th, 2011 at 12:33 am

Skye, this is such a labor of love! Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop :)

August 15th, 2011 at 3:20 am

This looks so awesome! I love it! Looks like it came straight from Anthro.

August 15th, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I can’t believe you made that! Amazing!

August 15th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Looks so elegant and simple. Nice job.

August 15th, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Awesome job. I’m doing this!

August 15th, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Wow, beautiful!! That’s actually quite simple to do. I may have to try it. I’m visiting from Debbiedoos. : )

August 15th, 2011 at 10:45 pm

This really is one of the most beautiful duvet covers I’ve ever seen. I am in awe of you. It’s gorgeous. You need to post this on every link party you can find! :)

I’m having a giveaway on my blog. Please stop by if you’d like! ShannonSews.blogspot.com

August 15th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Oh my goodness, I can’t believe the patience you have. I loved this duvet at West Elm,but the price was way too much. Yours is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

August 16th, 2011 at 1:44 am

I love your creation! I would love to try this for my bed or even for a Christmas gift.

August 16th, 2011 at 11:29 am

I am a new follower and I think your duvet cover is very effective and pretty.You are so clever to make it and thank you for sharing your idea. I would like to try it myself, but maybe on a smaller scale to start with:)

August 17th, 2011 at 12:39 am

You did a great job on this and you made it look so easy to do! I’m pinning this idea – thanks!

August 17th, 2011 at 3:31 am

Love this! Looks great!
New follower,
Kim
kimberlyannblog.blogspot.com

August 17th, 2011 at 4:12 am

Great tutorial! I have plans to make a white duvet with texture, maybe I will do this!

August 17th, 2011 at 11:27 am

This is gorgeous….but I would have to hire someone to do it for me!

August 17th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Wow, this is absolutely stunning! So much love went into this. Gorgeous!

By the way, I have having my first link party now, and would love to have you link this up to it.

August 17th, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Oh wow! This is fantastic! I love the look and thanks for sharing how you did it! Just brilliant!!

Thanks for linking to the Creating Success Worldwide blog hop!! Hope you’ll come back again next week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

August 18th, 2011 at 12:59 am

Oh my gosh I love it so so much. Good job I am doing one similar but your seems easier darn too bad I started already. Maybe ill make this one too. Thanks. And thank you for linking up to show and share mine and lindsays link party. Come stop by mom blog stay a while and have a look around.
A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

August 19th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

This is just gorgeous!!! Thanks for linking up to Think Pink Sundays – I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/08/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-19/

August 19th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I love this!

New follower! Also a new blogger!
Hope you have a great day.

August 20th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

LOVE IT! Beautiful! I hope you will link up to Scrappy Saturdays linky party @ candacecreations.blogspot.com

August 22nd, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Looks really professional! Great job.

August 23rd, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I absolutely LOVE this pintuck duvet! You did a phenomenal job!

I just wanted to let you know that I featured your project today on Sew Woodsy! Feel free to grab a featured button and definitely come back tomorrow!

p.s. What part of Florida do you live in? Maybe we can get together and craft if your not too far from Orlando!

August 24th, 2011 at 1:55 am
August 24th, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love this!! I’m going to feature this on my blog because I have a duvet cover that looks EXACTLY like this from Target (which is a knock off from West Elm’s) and I get emails all the time where to find it.

is where you can see the duvet, really the only difference are the buttons. Way to go!

Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

August 29th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing how to make it.
I have a question though. Can it just be tossed in the washer like any other sheets?
I have been searching for the perfect duvet cover for about five years. I think I just found it, and you make it look so easy!

October 31st, 2011 at 12:36 am

This is such a great tutorial! I have wanted the West Elm version for quite sometime but the price tag has kept me from buying. Good thing since now I can make my own! Thank you!

November 21st, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I wish i saw this before picking the one up at West Elm. :(

December 20th, 2011 at 7:34 pm

beautiful! I’m super excited to explore your blog!

Anonymous
February 24th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thank you very much I am moving and in my new purple room I want to make a canopy with gathered pin-tuck taffeta. I’m so happy I can’t wait to get started on my creation. I think I will make a few pillows too.

Anonymous
March 17th, 2012 at 12:17 am

thanks so much, this is much easier than i thought it would be. i hope mine looks as great as yours when im fininshed!

Comments are closed.